[Match report] Raiders 18-6 at break

Updated: August 14, 2017

Canberra has struck three times through its left edge to lead the Vodafone Warriors 18-6 at halftime in today’s 23rd-round NRL clash at Mount Smart Stadium.

The home side should have been on the scoreboard first but centre Solomone Kata lost control as he was putting down a well-judged grubber.

No try and Canberra struck from the restart, going long range with Jarrod Croker breaking into the clear before connecting with wing Nick Cotric for a try against the run of play. Croker, reliable as ever with boot, made it 6-0.

There was an injury concern for the Vodafone Warriors with Kata clutching his shoulder after his disallowed try. He stayed on for a few minutes but wasn’t able to last, forced to go off the field for treatment.

Issac Luke came on after 14 minutes and the unfortunate Nathaniel Roache, who had been named to start at hooker, again found himself shifted out to the wing as happened last week against the Knights. 

There had been some zest about the Vodafone Warriors’ play with and without the ball but they were soon exposed on their rearranged right edge where Roache was paired up with Blake Ayshford after David Fusitu’a moved to left centre to replace Kata.

Cotric was put in the clear, went down the touchline and drew the defence for Croker to score and then convert for a 12-0 lead after 17 minutes.

The Vodafone Warriors might have been disappointed with their slow start but they were anything but deterred by it, striking back in the 25th minute.

A crossfield Mason Lino kick was reclaimed, the ball kept alive with Ben Matulino handling twice, shifting to Ryan Hoffman on his left and he sent Fusitu’a across for his 10th try of the season and the 30th of his career. Lino’s conversion was brilliant to bring the score back to 6-12.

Facing Canberra’s team of monsters, the Vodafone Warriors needed to keep their error count to a bare minimum, especially in their own half.

Unfortunately they coughed up possession 40 metres out from their line soon after Croker’s try. The Raiders made them pay the full price, running a play to the left for Blake Austin to step through. Croker’s conversion had the visitors out to an 18-6 lead after 34 minutes, an advantage they took to the sheds at the break.


Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland

Vodafone Warriors 6 (David Fusitu’a try; Mason Lino conversion).

Canberra Raiders 18 (Nick Cotric, Jarrod Croker tries; Jarrod Croker 2 conversions).

Halftime: 18-6 Raiders.

Referees: Adam Gee and Gavin Reynolds.

Vodafone Warriors | Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (c); David Fusitu’a, Blake Ayshford, Solomone Kata, Ken Maumalo; Mafoa’aeata Hingano, Mason Lino; Jacob Lillyman, Issac Luke, Sam Lisone; Bunty Afoa, Ryan Hoffman; Simon Mannering. Interchange: Ben Matulino, Issac Luke, Isaiah Papali’i, Chris Satae.

Source: http://www.warriors.co.nz/news/2017/08/13/_match_report_raider.html

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *